BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C.–Roper St. Francis celebrated the groundbreaking of its future Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital and medical office building with a Blessing of the Land ceremony on Thursday night.
Roper St. Francis began clearing trees on the site in May. Construction will take place on the hospital’s 90-acre campus at Carnes Crossroads, where Highway 17A and 176 intersect.
The medical office building is expected to be complete in the summer of 2018 while the hospital is expected to open in the fall of 2019. According to a hospital spokesperson, there will be room for the hospital to grow.
“As the community continues to expand, so will Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital,” stated Meredith Huggins, a hospital representative. “We have enough space on our campus to build two more medical office buildings in future years to meet residents’ healthcare needs.”
Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital is expected to provide 285 jobs. An estimated 215 people will work in the medical facilities during the first year, ramping up to 250 in its second year and 285 by year three.
The campus will look and feel like an outdoor retail center, where you park closest to the place you want to visit. The campus will feature ample natural green space to aid in healing patients.
The site’s main entrance, as well as two additional entrances, will be on Highway 176 and will be supported by a traffic signal. The facility also will be accessible through an entrance from Highway 17-A.
The new Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital is being designed by HDR, the same firm that helped create the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge. Roper St. Francis has hired Turner Construction as the project’s construction management firm.
Fast facts about the new Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital and medical office building:
Medical Office Building
- An 80,000 square foot, 3-story structure with ample parking, covered patient drop-off, floor to ceiling windows, classrooms on the first floor as well as a host of physician offices.
- Construction is expected to finish in summer 2018.
Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital:
- Our new 140,000 square ft., 50-bed hospital will provide comprehensive healthcare services including: 24-hour emergency department, cancer care, cardiology, diagnostics, endocrinology, maternity, orthopedics, pulmonology, surgery and therapeutic services
- Patient rooms will feature adequate space for families for overnight stays, larger patient restrooms, natural light and views.
- First floor: lobby, food services, 24-hour ER, imaging, pharmacy, lab and surgery
- Second floor: labor and delivery suites, postpartum rooms
- Third floor: medical/surgical beds and ICU.
- Hospital construction is expected to be complete in the fall of 2019.
Latest posts by Nikki Gaskins (see all)
- Berkeley County’s Emergency Operation Center To Move To OPCON 2 - September 8, 2017
- Berkeley County EMS Receives Life-Saving Pediatric Equipment - August 31, 2017
- Police: Moncks Corner Home Explosion Leaves 1 Person Injured - August 28, 2017