BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C.–It’s not every day that it snows in Berkeley County, but shortly after 12 p.m. on Wednesday plenty of the “white stuff” began to blanket the ground, roads, homes and more throughout the Lowcountry.
Of course, this isn’t the first time it has snowed in Berkeley County. On January, 23rd, 2016 residents witnessed snowfall, too. However, it quickly melted away just as fast it got here.
This time, though, the snow appears to be sticking around a little longer resulting in a Winter Storm Warning that remains in effect until 12 a.m. Thursday.
According to the National Weather Service, radar and satellite data indicates that snowfall rates will increase to 1-2 inches per hour across the coastal counties of South Carolina over the next hour. Roads and bridges may see around two inches of snow accumulations in the next hour.
Strengthening low pressure will move up the coast through Wednesday night. Additional snow amounts of 2 to 4 inches are possible, especially across southern SC. Locally higher totals are likely. Extremely dangerous travel conditions will persist through tonight and isolated power outages also expected, reports the NWS.
Wednesday’s snowfall led to local municipalities shutting down for the day.
Thursday’s weather is looking a little better–minus the snowfall. The forecast tomorrow calls for sunny weather with a high near 41 degrees. Lows are expected to be around 19 degrees, except near lake Moultrie where the temp is expected to be in the mid-20s.
While the snowfall is expected to last only a few more hours, residents are taking in the moment by snapping photos, taking video and unleashing their inner kid by playing in it. Check out some of the photos shared with us below.
1. During the rare occasion that it snows in Berkeley County, one must immediately make a snow angel.
Pictured: Tom Campbell. Taken in the Woodland Lakes Subdivision.
2. Becoming one with the snow. This is how you make a snow angel if you’re brave…face toward the cold ground.
3. Snow?! What snow?!
4. Enjoying the snow while it lasts.
5. Some would rather enjoy it from a distance. We don’t blame them.
6. Then and now…
7. Building a snowman…or at least part of one. Note: His two eyes are NOT made out of coal.
8. How cute! A baby snowman! He doesn’t look too happy, though.
9. This is the rare time you don’t need to be in Alaska or up north to enjoy a little snow sledding.
10. Some pets appear excited by the snowfall while others aren’t sure what to make of the “Snowpocolypse.”
11. Riding four wheelers in the snow is just way more fun.
12. Is it time to go ice skating yet?
13. Not a good time to go jumping on one of these.
14. Or swimming in one of these.
15. The snow is definitely a good excuse to stay off the roads.
16. However, it still will never keep some folks off the Tailrace Canal Bridge.
17. It’s a ghost town on other roads.
18. Never forget! #Snowpocolypse
Latest posts by Nikki Gaskins Campbell (see all)
- 2 People Dead Following Moncks Corner Mobile Home Fire - January 7, 2018
- USPS Delivery Truck Flips Upside Down on Icy Road - January 7, 2018
- Two Hanahan Firefighters Struck by Firetruck While Responding to Accident - January 3, 2018